I have decided that Halloween is my least favorite holiday right now. It takes so much time and effort on my part and my reward is a bunch of fighting with my kids about how much candy they are allowed to eat.
This year I decided to make my kids costumes since I am just tired of having to spend large sums of money on cheaply made costumes for one nights use. Now I can't decided if my time is worth the amount of money I save (not to mention my sanity). This year Mackenzie is the tooth fairy, Ethan and Landon are both toothbrushes, and Ashton is a tube of toothpaste. Sounded pretty easy to me, nothing to difficult. Wrong. Mackenzie's is turning out to be a "ghetto" version of what I had envisioned, I haven't even started to do the boys since somehow I think I might need an engineering degree to put it together, and Ashton's is still in the planning stages.
I will continue to be stressed about it and will also still be putting finishing touches on the costumes in between going to a costume parade, working at Landon's carnival, helping in Ethan classroom cookie decorating day at which I am supposed to make the cookies and bring the supplies for the cookie I am in charge of, making chili for trunk or treat, and then getting kids ready for trunk or treat. After that I will then be fighting with my kids to stop messing with the costumes, telling them to stop whining about how they are hot and/or itchy, trying to keep track of them at the trunk or treat, making sure they are not sitting somewhere at the church shoveling handfuls of candy into their mouth, listening to them cry because they don't want to leave the trunk or treat and that they need to hold their pumpkin full of sugar on the car ride home, try to figure out where they got the candy that they are eating on the ride home since I am holding their pumpkins with the candy, tell them they cannot sleep with their pumpkins even though they promise not to eat all the candy, and then listen to them cry themselves to sleep. At which point I am hoping that some really really nice person has decided to go all out this Halloween and hand out full size candy bars which I will then quietly take out of my kids pumpkins and enjoy eating as payment from them for participating in this beloved holiday. Is there such a thing as bah humbug for Halloween?
Wednesday, October 29, 2008
My least favorite
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



8 seriously good comments:
Yes, there is such a thing. I hate Halloween.
And also...
A- you are crazy to make the costumes. Brave and crazy.
and
B- please call Albertson's bakery and order 2 dozen non-frosted sugar cookies for Ethan's class party. It will relieve the sympathy stress I am feeling for you.
I hear you. I always hated coming up with costumes. I don't mind Halloween now b/c i don't have to do that anymore. I also like to hand out candy and if no one comes then I have to eat it.=) If they were here I would give them full size candy bars for you. Have a HAPPY HALLOWEEN! Love, Grandma Simpson
Amen - Halloween is Rich's favorite holiday. He loves candy and his boys adore candy. I just hope that we can survive the weekend without them eating all their candy and getting sick.
Oh and I will pray that you can survive everything. Please tell me Jared will be at the Trunk or Treat to corral the kids.
Hope it turns out ok. Next year just get some clear garbage bags and make them a bag of m & m and jelly beans with colored balloons. =) I'm sure mackenzie will look great. =) Happy sewing. Happy Haunting.
It is all because you deviated from the original plan...;) Just teasing...I am sure that I am going to grow to hate this day soon enough. But, since I don't have to collect candy yet and then make sure they don't get sick or rot their teeth out I am going to enjoy seeing how creative people are.
I learned a few years ago that those ridiculously expensive costumes are worth the money to save me the incredible hassle of trying to put something creative together! FWIW, Mackenzie's tooth fairy costume was very cute!
I'm a total pushover, but I let the kids gorge themselves on candy for a few days after Halloween...it's worth it not to fight with them over it, I figure! Then there's less for me to eat, too!
I am with you! I am the Ebenezer Scrooge of Halloween! We didn't start turning our porch light on and handing out candy until 2 years ago! I am not creative at all...but I guess I haven't had to be. I am jealous of moms who can sew or whip out homemade loot like its nothing!
BTW, on Halloween, I let them pick out 2-3 pieces of candy for the night after they trick or treat. Then I take the candy and throw it away. When they wake up the next morning looking for the candy, I tell them the tooth fairy must have collected in during the night because its bad for their "beavers." Bahahahaha! (Thats an evil laugh) :)
Happy Halloween! Can't wait to see all the pictures.
Post a Comment