Friday, October 24, 2008

Election and Lazy People

So the other day I was watching fox news (the only news station I can handle until Nov. 5) and they showed some clip of Obama. Ethan starts asking about him who he is and what is he doing. So I start to tell him and realize there is no easy way to sum the whole thing up into an answer a 6 year old can understand. I tell him he is running for president. Then we proceeded to have the following conversation

Ethan: Are we going to vote for him?
Me: No
Ethan: Who are we voting for?
Me: McCain
Ethan: Why?
Me: because we agree with his ideas more than Obama
Ethan: What does Obama want to do?
Me: take more of our money away from us
Ethan: What is he going to do with our money because if they really need money I can give them mine.
Me: No you are not giving your money to the government. Obama wants to give our money to other people.
Ethan: Why, because they don't have any?

At this point I was starting to get frustrated since I wasn't even really sure what to tell him since it is hard enough for me to understand let alone explain it and what can you really tell a 6 year old. So in my "I need to get out the door to get to my parents house and I am in a hurry" frame of mind this is what I told him and I am pretty sure it is going to get me in trouble somewhere along the way.

Me: Obama wants to take the money that daddy earns by going to work and give it to the lazy people who don't want to work and earn their own money.

Crap! Did I just tell my 6 year old that? The kid that will repeat anything you say to anyone at anytime and has the longest memory of anyone I know? Yes I did and in the time it took us to drive to my parents Ethan had Landon and Mackenzie chanting McCain win, Obama lose, and when he walked through the door told my mom that she need to vote for McCain because Obama wants to give all our money to the lazy people. Nice. The only good thing about it is that it is hysterically funny to listen to Landon try and say the name Barack Obama.

8 seriously good comments:

Mandee said...

Love it.

My question is WHY would anyone (aside from lazy people) want to vote for him for that specific reason! It's killing me, Kim. Killing me.

Katie and Luke said...

Ya know, sometimes you have to be "black and white" with your kids---no matter if they end up spewing the information to everyone they come in contact with. At least he knows how you really feel and what you think is wrong. Heaven knows that the "other side" has no problem filling your kid's head with information you DON"T want him to know about! You mine as well beat them to the punch. Thats my 2 cents anyways! I think what you said was right on. Thats the heart of the issue for me---don't take anymore of MY money and give it to other people to spend! :)

Cami said...

That is hilarious! Well, at least you are filling his head with the truth, right??!!

Dustin and Rachel Clyde said...

Oh my gosh I LOVE it! So funny, but true. Anyway you put it Obama is wrong. Might as well train them young! Oh and I really want to hear Landon say Barack Obama haha.

Kristina said...

I laughed so hard! I think this is classic ethan and I too can not wait to hear landon say barack obama. I am so stoked to see y'all again.

Nicole said...

That is great... brief and to the point! My kids go around saying Barack Obama and it is like hearing a swear word come out of my child's mouth... they think it so funny and I just want to have a heart attack especially in public! I should have never reacted the first time Ryder said it! I guess it is a fun word for a little kid!

Jaime said...

I will be so happy when Nov 4th has come and gone. IU am so sick of hearing about how great Obama is. I want to throw up. I love that Landon is asking questions like that.

Carrie said...

That's fantastic! I've had a heck of a time explaining politics to my highly curious 6 year old as well!