While in Texas, Jared's family decided to have a family 5K fun run. They even had shirts made for all of us. Although there are some hard core runners in Jared's family (Jared's dad has run the Boston marathon at least twice, sister in law Kim just qualified to run Boston in April, Melissa and Justin are both training for a half marathon (she just had a baby 4 months ago), Spencer used to compete at the college level in cross country) you get the idea. Then there is me. I loathe running and only do it when trying to catch my kids before the run into the street. So I was going to just follow in the truck with Eric, Donna, and the kids, but then I decided I would walk with Teresa. Then that turned into lets see if we can jog the first mile.

The kids before the race with a neighbors dog. That dog followed us for the entire race.
The starting line. As you can see all the "runners" are setting their watches. Then there is me sunglasses and all. Don't forget Eric in the background with the shotgun. What better excuse to shoot a gun than the start of a race.
Kim, Spencer, Jared's dad, Jared and Ethan. Ethan ran for almost the entire first mile. He did better than me. Not too long after this picture he decided to hop in the truck.
The winner......Justin. I don't remember his time but I know that is was good. The kids just waited at the finish line to run in with everyone.
Landon crossing the finish line with a classic Landon face.
Teresa and I bringing up the rear. Teresa did run the first mile. I tried to run it. I made it half way then walked. Then when Teresa started walking I tried to run again to catch up to her. I had to stop when I thought that I just might be dying. So we walked and when all the runners passed us we just turned and headed for the finish line instead of walking the rest of the course. We did want to make a good finish though, so we ran to the finish line. In our defense we were pushing two kids in the jogging stroller which weighs a ton. Although without having that to hold onto I probably would have fallen over.



8 seriously good comments:
Nice entry on the family 5K. Did you just rip all the files from the pictures my mom emailed?
Way to go Kimmy! I did a 5K this summer...I still hate running!
I have a new trainer who is going to get me in shape so I can run a 5k this summer. I want to start running see if I learn to like it. Not participating in this one even though it was my choice made me think I was a slacker but next time I will be in it.
Hey Running Partner. I am redeeming my running name. I have been running 2 miles now. Eric has joined me in my effort. He swears my legs/butt are already firmer. I am not sure if he just wants some or what because I seriously can't tell a bit of difference anywhere except my ability to breathe better. Anyways...here is to the most hilarious fun run of my life! Thanks for hanging with me.
That is dedication! During our family get togethers we do good to get off the couch.
I love that idea! I am going to suggest it at our next family get together. Of course if I end up murdered you'll know the reason why! :)
Way to go. The only thing that kept me going in the last 5K I did was there was a girl behind me pushing a double stroller and I was not about to let her pass me. If it hadn't been for her though, I probably would have walked. I'm a wimpy runner.
Way to go Kim!!!
I LOVE the picture of you all starting and you are just hanging with your glasses on. Good for you!
Post a Comment