Monday, January 12, 2009

Being Productive

So this was the conversation Jared and I had with Ethan yesterday while driving in the car
We left our house with him having a fit about the fact that we were not allowing him to play the wii star wars game for hours on end. Jared told him that playing video games is fun but not very productive.

Ethan: Being productive is boring
Jared: In order to do fun things you have to do productive things too
Me: Playing video games and watching TV are not productive things to do
Ethan: Well all you guys do at night is watch tv
(this is where I sort of wince and think how am I going to get out of this one since let's face it he does have me on that one)
Me: What do we do during the day?
Ethan: I don't know
Me: Dad goes to work and I take care of the house and all of you. Those are productive things and watching tv at night is a fun thing
Ethan: Well I am just not a productive guy

He then went on to talk about all the things he wanted to do or buy and then Jared told him this

Jared: You have to have a job to make money in order to buy or do all those things. Having a job is productive
Ethan: I don't want a job then, I'll just marry someone and let my wife have a job and go to work and I will stay home and babysit the kids

Obviously I haven't really shown him how much "fun" it is to take care of a house and four kids.

6 seriously good comments:

Hartmans said...

He will one day learn this for himself. I am sure that he will learn to be a productive citizen sooner than later.

Matt & Amy said...

Very good thinking Ethan, but boy will he be in for the shock of his life. I got a good laugh though.

Kristina said...

That is hilarious!

Jaime said...

Ethan is so funny. He definitly is thinking all the time!

Melissa said...

Ha that story made me crack up. I'm impressed that already he understands the concept of a sugar mamma. ;)

Dustin and Rachel Clyde said...

Oh my gosh that is so dang funny! Tell him I say good luck.