Saturday, August 9, 2008

I have really lost it this time!

So here I am earlier today thinking "Wow, I made it I am down to the last week before school starts and I have not been committed to any institutions." Then I did something that has to be the worst possible thing ever.

My sister and I had a baby shower to go to. We needed to stop by target before we went so I told her I'll come over early and get you. Ethan had soccer practice, so I told jared if he would take all the big kids to soccer I would take Ashton with me. So off we all went. While my sister and I were driving I was venting about something that was bugging me, the parking lot was packed and I was just thinking about how I don't want to park a million miles away. We park, we both get out and start walking and talking again. I get to the end of the parking asile, and am just about to cross to walk into target and I stopped. To my horror, I realized I had FORGOTTEN Ashton in the car. It is still deeply disturbing to me that I really did forget my own child, in the car no less. All these horrible thoughts keep running through my mind about what would have happened if I had not remembered. I truly think I have lost my mind (apparently someone else realizes this and was thinking for me when it dawned on me where he was). Everytime I think about it I get that feeling usually reserved for when I turn around in the store and one of my kids has gotten away from me. I am still in shock that this happened. I think I am going to need some therapy for this. My poor baby ashton, has been dragged all over town with me this summer and spent many hot afternoons on the patio at my mom's house under a fan while I watch the kids swim only to be forgotten. So now i feel a little better after venting about how horrible I feel. Hopefully the judgements won't be too harsh, I wouldn't want to lose any votes in the Mom of the year contest that I can hopefully re-enter next year since this year is obviously out.

P.S. My sister (lindsay) is probably thinking I am even crazier for writing about this on my blog but I had to get it off my chest, and I am wanting to make a family book out of this blog, so events (even bad ones) make it on here.

7 seriously good comments:

Kristin said...

At least you didn't forget him at church, and drive all the way home before you realized, 15 minute drive, then had to turn around and go and get your child from the hands of the bishop who was the only one left at church. Not that, that has ever happened to me.

Carianne said...

You are NOT a bad mom. I have done that. At least it wasn't as bad as my Jared's story where he forgot Alexis (then 3 weeks old) in the car when he went into Kern Schools. Thank goodness she was alive and still to this day I am hesitant about Jared taking the kids anywhere .Especially as babies

Rachel M said...

That is my worst fear! I am always counting kids. Glad it had a happy ending.

Kristina said...

Don't stress out about it too much. You're human the important thing is that you remembered. You still are in the running for mom of the year.

Hartmans said...

So, I got home from work on Thursday and as usual asked Eric where boy (Taft) was. He goes..."oh no" and started for the truck. He had been unloading some stuff after working at his Dad's house and forgot that he also had Taft to unload. Since Taft fell asleep and wasn't making noise, he got busy unloading the stuff he could see. It happens...

Melissa said...

What I think is so funny is that Lindsay didn't say anything to you about getting Ashton out. I'm sure it will happen to me and I'm glad you realized it before you got in the store and got shopping. I'm sure you'll be a shoo in next year for mom of the year. =) Can't wait to see y'all at Christmas.

emily said...

Not that it eases the bad feeling, but I think at some point or another, every mom does something of this nature! Well, I'm double bad mom because I've done it twice! Once I left Jack in the car while the girls and I went into Sally's Beauty Supply to get some fake hair piece for their dance competition. This is bad mom of the year...I didn't remember until I got back into the car and saw him. Luckily it was March and wasn't too cold or too hot. I about passed out...literally. It's a horrible feeling. The other time was when I went to a scrapbook store with Sarah when Kamae was about 6 weeks old. There was a girl ringing us up and then there was an older lady standing next to her who was probably the owner. She asked if she could hold my baby...I said sure! So, I buy my stuff and start heading out the door. Sarah stands in front of the stroller and says, "Are you forgetting something?" I said, "No" thinking to myself, "We've been here an hour...I think I bought everything I needed!" She finally had to tell me to turn around and the lady is just laughing...still holding Kamae! I about walked out of the store leaving my newborn with a stranger. I started crying (hormones weren't quite stable) and saying that I'm the worst mom ever! What kind of mom does that? So, I'm glad you posted that to make me feel like I'm not alone...and neither are you! Unfortunately, it happens to most of us!