Monday, October 1, 2007

We are rednecks no more!



Well I promised before and after pictures for all of you who were waiting on pins and needles. So here they are. This is what our media niche looked like when we started. We truly were rednecks with our TV on a plastic costco table. I mean to us it wasn't that big of a deal at first, I mean I think all the medical, dental, and law students we met in San Antonio had at least one or more pieces of plastic furniture right? We knew though that we needed to do something so we called on my very handy mechanical engineer brother in law Marc to help. He built an entertainment center into their media niche which happen to be about 3 times the size of ours. It turned out beautifully so we figured ours should be easier since it was a lot smaller.









Honestly it really didn't take marc and jared that long. It took them about 2 nights of working for about 3-4 hours to get the bulk of it done. After that it just needed all the trim work. Marc graciously helped jared through almost all of it so it did make it go by a little faster, and my nagging I am sure helped a ton.


And now we are done. Almost. We have painted and distressed all of it although in the picture it is hard to see the distressing. Now we just have to stain the distressed parts a slightly darker color which should not take long at all and then load it up with some lacquer. So wonders never cease we actually have a real piece of furniture that was not given to us nor is it plastic. I am hoping that I will now be able to go purchase the things I need in order to fill it up and make it cute. I am thinking another trip to Thai-Pan (the best decorating store known to man in Sandy Utah) to load up on some goods.

13 seriously good comments:

emily said...

It looks awesome, Kim! Well done, boys. Now, you just need to send them over to my house and they can help Austin finish the basement. (I've given up on the idea that it will really ever get done!)

Brooke said...

That looks soo good! Great job!

Kristin said...

It looks so beautiful, how I wish we were out of the plastic. Someday.

Heidi and Rich said...

Wow Jared I am thoroughly impressed. It looks amazing. I think that Mark deserves a round of applause too!!

Matt & Amy said...

Looks GREAT! Jared has fine-tuned his craftmenship skills since the laying of the faux wood floors in San Antonio. Awesome job. Also, thanks to Jared & Kim for passing down some drawers they found in a dumpster... sadly, they are our only drawers that are not plastic, so they are like gold to us...boy, my life sounds really sad. Give us five years and we will hopefully have real wood furniture and stuff!

Staci said...

That looks so great! And hand crafted too, even better. Tai Pan Trading is the best home decor store ever...I may have to make a trip over there soon! They actually have a new one closer to me in Clearfield, just north of Layton.

Kim Simpson said...

Amy, your life doesn't sound sad. It sounds typical of a resident with children. Those drawers and bookcase served us well. Honestly I am so glad you guys moved into that house since I do not think that they would have been able to hold up through yet another long distance move. I would actually be curious to see how many people we could pass them through. Also, my boys still have plastic dressers. We got start one room at a time.

The Blaisdell Family said...

That's beautiful!! I can't wait to get an entertainment center. The one right now...well our TV is bigger than it so it looks kind of silly! But one day at a time, we still need to find a house to buy first! I hate house hunting. Does anyone have any good pointers to make this process easier????

Melissa said...

Awesome! I love it. AND I CAN'T BELIVE JARED HAD ANY PART IN IT! If he can do that, or help, I'm so impressed with how much he's grown. My mom's the handyperson in our family so maybe he got a little of it from her. =) No offense Dad. I'm also happy to see there was more than just the 2nd picture. I was beginning to think the plastic table was just as nice. I'm SO ready for Thanksgiving to be here. I'm excited to see everyone.

laurie said...

It's gorgeous! Congratulations on real furniture! We've graduated from plastic to the kind you have to put together at IKEA... Not quite the real stuff yet! I had no idea you knew about Thai-Pan. I love that place too. I found a really great one here that's very similar. The Home Decor Warehouse or something like that...if you are ever out here you should check it out!

Rob said...

Very Cool. I'm proud of you Jared.

Mandee said...

Let me know when you'll be at Tai Pan and I'll meet you there! I love that place! Have you ever been to Enterior Elements- that is another great place to shop for house decor! And the entertainment center looks awesome! I so wish my husband could whip something up like that for me!

Jaime said...

Ok Kim that looks great! I am so impressed with your husbands! I want in on the trip to Thai-pan. I saw the stuff your sister bought there and I want to go bad!