On Monday Landon had to have his tonsils and adenoids removed. We always thought that him asking what did you say all the time was just him being stubborn. Apparently we are bad parents (with a bad pediatrician who never looked into it when we asked about it) but the kid really couldn't hear all that well. It all happened pretty quick too. We went to a new pediatrician who did an actual hearing test and thought that his tonsils and adenoids should be removed. They gave us the referral for an ENT and while I was waiting for the nurse I called them They said if you can be here in ten minutes we can get you in otherwise it will be Nov. before we can see you. So of course I ran out of there and made it to the ENT's office. They said yeah the tonsils and adenoids need to come out. We will call you to schedule. This was on a Tues. and Landon got them out on Mon. So it was not a fun week of Dr and Lab appointments but it is all done now.
So these are Landon's tonsils. Honestly Jared and I both think that this has to be some sort of bio hazard but they let Landon take his tonsils home. They were disgusting but he really wanted to show Ethan. He also kept asking if they could put them back in. I made sure to throw them away after he showed Ethan since I did not want to find those tonsils anywhere besides inside of that cup. They were pretty good size though. I am not totally sure what normal size is but the ENT thought they were most definitely large.
On a side note here was what happened to me while Landon was getting his labs done. Mackenzie had been to one too many Dr's offices that day and decided to show me by having a complete and total melt down. She was screaming so loud in the waiting room full of people of course that no one could hear their name being called. So when they opened the door to call peoples names I covered her mouth so everyone could hear and then proceeded to let her scream until the next name was called. Well this lady who was wobbling all over the place (apparently on some type of medication) comes over to me and says "As a member of the court I need your name address and phone number so I can report you" I said "For what?" She then tells me that it is illegal to cover a child's mouth and that she has to report me and for me to write down my info. I said" I am not giving you any of my information" Then the guy that was with her says "Stop it, now lets go" she says she is not leaving and that she will now have to call the cops on me. She asks the receptionist if she can use the phone and then tells her what for the receptionist says "Your gonna do what?" About 5 seconds later they call be back, draw Landon's blood and all that good stuff and we are headed out. All the while Mackenzie is still screaming her head off. The lady is still waiting when I get out and lets me know that the police are on their way for me. I told her to tell them we are sorry we missed them and left. Although I am pretty sure I wasn't doing anything illegal it did get me wondering if it really is against
the law to cover a child's mouth. Anyone know?
So after a really rough first day (I was hoping the Demerol and liquid Vicodin would last a bit longer) Landon is doing much better. He survived on pumpkin pie no crust and a little bit of jello. Weird kid I know. I was hoping also that this procedure might be my cure for the finger sucking. I did lie to my child and tell him that if he sucked his fingers the tonsils would grow back and he would have to have them taken out again, but as you can see it did not work. Hopefully Heavenly Father understands that I was trying to do some good for Landon by lying. I think it was a necessary evil I was doing but that is what I get for lying, nothing.
Friday, October 5, 2007
Tonsils and Adenoids.......Gone
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



9 seriously good comments:
What a trip! You handled that lady WAY better than I would have. I would of probably told her where she could stick her comment. Sorry Mackenzie had a melt down. =( That's got to be tons of fun to deal with. The tonsils look big to me. I'm expert on those now because I get to do a lot of them where I work. They do let you take them home if you sign a release. Otherwise we put them in formalin and send them to the lab. I think that's so funny he wanted to show Ethan. Boys will be boys. =) Nice of him to share too.
P.S. As far as I know it's not illegal to cover you child's mouth either. And since Mackenzie continued to scream, I think she was getting enough oxygen. Makes for a good journal story though. =)
I can't believe someone was threating to call CPS on you. I think you did the right thing by not giving her any info.
Poor Landon. Did they have to knock him out? Paige had tear duct surgery when she was 10 months (an extremely simple procedure) and it broke my heart to think of her in that OR by herself. I just wish I could have been there with her and I'm sure you felt the same way.
Kim , ofcourse I remember you guys- how could I forget Ethan- he was in our nursery class. Your kids have grown up so much, they are so cute. Your family pictures are great. It was good to hear from you.
Beth
Nikki and I feel so sorry for Landon! He looks so angelic in the picture...give him a hug for us...especially from Nikki. But Nikki is worried that his cute voice will be different now. Hope not. Kim, it is NOT illegal to cover your child's mouth. I used to cover Jared's all the time...he would just spit all over me but he loved to scream and bawl in church. That lady must have been on drugs or something. Your reply was good though...I think I would have been too scared to leave the office!
Poor little boy. I hope he feels better. And you are so funny... what a lame lady! I put my hand over Charlie's mouth all of the time... usually during church, when they are passing the sacrament, and we're heading out the door for a beating! Ha ha. Kidding- I don't beat him... I just threaten to beat him.
Wow Kim, that lady was a wack job!! I would have told her off. Well probably not, I talk big, but I probably would have just sat there and not said anything.
I hope Landon is feeling better. Poor little guy!
Ok if you can have the cops called on you for covering your childs mouth out in public I am in so much trouble. That lady was on something for sure. I am amazed that your last doctor didn't catch that if they were so bad they had to be removed. By the way I am so glad Landon is in Ellie's class.
That is nuts that they let you take home body parts...CRAZY! Hope Landon is doing better. Just looking into his big blue eyes make me melt...poor little guy.
So it isn't okay to cover your kids mouth in public, when they are screaming their head off? What about church? Is that okay. Hope Landon is fully recouprated.
Post a Comment