So I had a Dr. appt yesterday. The baby is apparently going to be a spitting image of landon because he just wants to do what he wants to do. He still hasn't flipped into a head down position. I have about 2 more weeks and then he won't be able to flip most likely. So my dr. gave me my options yesterday. He could try and flip him at about 36-37 weeks and then either induce me if it works or just do a c-section then if it doesn't work, or he can just schedule the c-section and if he flips great if not everything is already scheduled.
He generally does not like flipping he thinks that the risks to the baby are greater than the risks of a c-section. He is not aggressive with flipping. He said unless the baby flips pretty easily his success rate of flipping is pretty low. He has had 2 babies in his career die from distress caused by flipping, hence his apprehension for it. Although he will let his patient decide.
I did have Dr. Wen (my Dr. in texas and my favorite dr. ever) flip Landon. I am not really sure if you could actually say he flipped Landon though. He gave me my epidural before he tried to flip him, and because of all the pre-term labor I had throughout the pregnancy, Dr. Wen thinks that the epidural relaxed me and my uterus enough for Landon to just flip on his own.
Jared really does not want me to have a c-section. He doesn't like the risks for surgery and the recovery time is longer, and because Landon flipped he thinks we should try and flip. I on the other hand am a little scared of the flipping since I have had no pre-term labor this pregnancy so I don't think giving me the epidural will work the same as last time. So I am now asking for outside opinions. I know some of you have had c-sections, and some of you may have had your baby flipped. What would you do? As of right now the c-section is scheduled for the 21st of May, and my next ultrasound and dr. appt. is on the 28th of april, and I have to let him know what I want to do then if the baby still hasn't flipped. Thoughts please!!!
P.S. Just in case anyone was wondering, I am really not one of those people that needs to have a regular childbirth. I have experienced the long drawn out and painful process more than enough times. Having a baby in 20 mins. without having to do all the work really doesn't sound all that bad to me.
Tuesday, April 15, 2008
To flip or not to flip.... that is the question!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



15 seriously good comments:
Hmmm...that's quite a decision you have to make.
Personally I would schedule the c-section for two reasons. First, the risks of that type of surgery are minimal. Second, yes your recovery time takes longer-but that's better than possibly harming the baby.
So...yeah...I would schedule the c-section and just wait to see what the baby does on his own.
well, you know how I feel about c-sections. It's the only way to have a baby for me. You have no labor and you don't have to sit on your stitches. HAHA! Really the recovery time is not much worse or longer these days. And with pain medicine why not? I don't think it is that much more risky. You have experienced the other way so I say you get to choose. That's just my opinion. We'll talk though.
Hey Kim,
Our 2nd born Carley decided that she didn't want to turn on her own. Just like your doctor, our doctor also gave us the choice. The only difference being that our doctor actually recommended it and had said he had good success with it. He had another physician in the room with him and a couple of other nurses. After the epidural they did the flip. It was very stressful. They had the heart monitor on and watched for signs of distress on the baby before and after. Then induced shortly after. Everything worked out for us but I can see how things could go wrong. One other thing to consider is how long the cord is (if they can tell). Did you try all the wife tale things (like my wife did?) ie, mop the floor on your hands, long walks?
Kim...I had my last two with c-sections and they are a bit harder of a recovery, but it really isn't that bad. The downside with having other kids is that you can't pick them up or you will tear...been there and done that. I have never had any experience with the flipping, but after having an emergency c-section with Austin, we chose to do a scheduled one with Julianna just to avoid the risks that were present. Best of luck in whatever you decide.
I feel for you and hope everything goes well. I don't feel knowledgeable enough to give any good advice. Just so you have a healthy baby. Our ward does a pinewood derby too. It is so much fun. Our car lost every race too, but it was fun to make.
Hey Kim!
I've never had a baby not head down. Mine have always been head down ready to go, and my body didn't want to cooperate so I have never experienced the "normal" delivery--mine have all been c-section. So I don't really know how different recovery times are, but with the twins I recovered much quicker than with Tanner so it really wasn't that bad. I'm sure Emily will voice her opinion, but she was up and carrying her kids around while running a marathon the day after her c-sections--again I say WONDER WOMAN! I guess it's different for everyone! My sister had her first c-section this year after having all of her others normal and she did just fine. I guess the long and short of it is to do what you feel best about, but I wouldn't be too concerned about having a c-section...and yes it is very nice to have it all done and over with in a matter of minutes!
Kim,
Go for the C-section. The recovery takes longer, but your kids are old enough they don't need to be picked up. Plus, it's a chance for you to have a little down time after the baby is born. Lindsay did ok, right? I've never had to do either so I may not be qualified to give advice, but if your doctor says he doesn't feel comfortable, then go with it. Better a safe delivery than risking it. Doctor's are aware of their skills and if he's not confident then go with the section.
Hmmmm....tough decision...you know my feelings about c-sections, but some people totally prefer them. Whatever gets the baby here safe and sound. The best thing would be if the little guy just flips on his own. I will be sending you good wishes. You are a toughy, so if you have to do a c-section you will probably breeze right through it. Keep us posted.
Kim, I would go c-section, It sounds the safest, I've never had one but everyone I know, only have good things to say about it. At least, you'll probably get more help from others if you have one!!
kim,
this exact thing happened to me exactly 2 weeks before my baby was born. It's so hard because every body is SO different but mine wasn't even an issue with me dr. the advantage in my situation was that my baby wasn't completely breech nor transverse, he was at a diagonal. my doc literally said, "your baby is breech, let me see if I can turn him." there was NO pain or discomfort and he simply pushed his head down into it's "proper" place. I know this is not normal but that's how it happened. He was 7 lbs. 5 oz. at birth so he was probably 5 lbs. or so at the time and the doc said I must have had a lot of fluid for him to turn so easily. SO maybe just give it a shot and if it doesn't work easily go for the c-section and don't take the risk.
Best of luck!!! Can't wait to hear how it all work out and to see that new baby.
That's a tough decision, because the doctor dosn't sound to sure of himself with the flipping idea, especially with 2 babies dying. That's scary. But you would hate to have this long drawn out ordeal to just end up having a C-Section. It's annoying to have to be in labor all day, just to end up having a C-Section. Good luck deciding!
Kim! I don't envy you, I'm so sorry you have to make such a decision. I'm the poster child for c-sections...don't know any other way after 4 kids. Just to set the record straight, though, contrary to Linda's beliefs, I couldn't even run a marathon before I was pregnant so we all know that's an exaggeration!:) I've never had anything remotely "scary" happen during any of my c-sections and I think that they are becoming so common-place these days that they've got it perfected. Obviously, a natural birth is preferred if all the ducks are in a row, but I personally don't feel putting the baby at risk to avoid the surgery would be worth it. I also feel, however, that as a mother you are entitled to instinct and intuition. Which option makes you feel the most comfortable or which one makes you feel the most uneasy? Go with whatever you feel is best for you, your body and your baby. I would just pray that your baby flips on his own so you don't have to make the choice! Good luck with it all and let us know what you end up deciding!
Ok I say go with your gutt. I am such a worry wort that I would just worry about putting the baby at risk. The down time is longer but you have great help to get you through it.
Well I don't have much experience with c-sections, but it sounds like you've been given a lot of great advice already. Hopefully you'll find out that the baby has turned on it's own and the dilemma will be over. Wish you the best!
Hope he turns, try mopping the floor on your hands and knees, it helped Isaac turn into the right position.
Post a Comment