Well, I am way behind on the basketball season post since it ended in Feb. Better late than never though. This year both boys played basketball. Landon did so well and was very good at doing exactly what the coach told him to do. Sometime he was a little to good at it in the beginning. He would go to the spot the coach told him to for defense and his feet would not leave that spot until coach said to. He would lean forwards, side to side, and wave his arms all around to play defense but his feet did not leave the spot. When I told him he needed to move a little bit to play defense he informed me that coach told him to go to that spot. He finally figured it out just in time for the season to end.
Ladies and gentlemen, we found Ethan's sport. Constant movement, being loud is necessary, and he can steal the ball and not get in trouble. He loved basketball. I was a little worried that he might a whiner about other kids running into him or bumping him but he didn't care one bit if the game got a little physical. In fact, at the end of the season Jared ended up on the court having Ethan apologize to one of the other players since Ethan decided if you shove I'll shove back harder even if they did it on accident. He is very excited to play next year. Ethan's team was the ideal set up for me. One of our neighbors who is in our ward said he would coach and since you can request coaches 5 of the nine kids on the team were from our ward which meant carpooling and lots of time to chat with friends.
We also realized a few things this season as well. I cannot watch any game that gets to physical with teams that don't seem to be evenly matched. I encouraged a few elbows and some "pushing back", hence the problem later in the season. My dad can only watch about 10 minutes of games and should never coach a kids league. When he started yelling " Do you think these kids are playing for full rides to college, let the other kids have a chance at the ball!" and "Does that coach think that scouts from Duke are watching these kids, they need to back off" we started tuning him out, although the other parents didn't. All in all it was a great season and the boys had a great time.



3 seriously good comments:
this was great to see, but I have to admit....What cracked me up more than you posting later than never was the fact that as I was reading I was listening to Christmas music. You are so awesome...I love your blog. Hope you guys had a great Easter. Keep the updates and pictures coming.
Coach Sal decided to end the season in that shirt??? I thought he would be wearing a shirt and tie. Ideal season for me too. I can't wait until next year.
How fun to see picts of basketball again. That really does seem SO long ago. And I will agree with you- Ethan has found his sport. He was great- especially on defense.
Post a Comment