
Today Jared took the kids to church and I am staying home with Ashton. Although I did contemplate going to church since I am starting to go a little stir crazy being in the house and church allows me to sit, visit with some people, and still have my other children out of my hair for about 2 hours. I did think however if I showed up I would never hear the end of how crazy I was for being there, so here I am at home peacefully blogging. We are almost a week into having Ashton home. The first few days were total hell. I thought that he was nursing so good and that everything was going fine, who was I kidding. That has never happened to me before so what made me think it would happen now. For two days Ashton did not poop. We went to the Dr. for his first visit and the Dr. said he has lost a lot of weight and he should have pooped. Go home give it the rest of today and bring him in tomorrow for a weight check. So we go in the next day he has lost 2 more ounces and still hasn't popped. Of course I am thinking the worst, something is wrong with him, his insides aren't working right all the crazy stuff. I told the Dr. he is so fussy and just screaming all the time and doesn't sleep well, then he said in his expert opinion, he is probably hungry. What?!! That couldn't be it, are you kidding me. I have three other kids that have survived I am pretty sure I would be able to figure something that simple out. No, oh no it could not just be that simple. Then I thought of a friend Laurie, who had a baby a few months ago. I remember her saying on her blog that her baby was just fussy and she couldn't get anything done and she just wasn't sure what was wrong. Then she figured it out. He was hungry. So I went home started pumping like the Dr. said to get an idea of how much he was taking in from nursing. I wasn't even getting an ounce. So I fed him that then gave him some formula. We now have a completely different kid. He slept the whole day. Woke up to eat, went back to sleep and by the end of the day he finally pooped. A ton I might add.
So he has been so good the last few days since I have been giving him formula after nursing. Last night I fed him at 10 he slept till 3:30, then I fed him again and he went right back to sleep and slept till 7 am. I honestly feel like I got a full nights sleep. So now I have to decided if I am going to continue to try and nurse and supplement or just put him completely on the bottle. My milk still hasn't come in so at this point stopping wouldn't be so so painful. I always hate making this decision. I know it is good for him and it is free but I am pretty sure my sanity and time are just as good for him. As for my other kids, they are in a sad state. Mackenzie has been dressing her self for the last few days. Landon has done nothing but suck his fingers with his ever so loved pillow covering his head, and Ethan just wants to be hovering over Ashton at all times. It can only get better from here right?


I just wanted to tell everyone who has been helping us with meals and kids thank you thank you. The other day my visiting teacher came and got all three of my kids and took them from 11 am to 4:30 pm. Honestly if that can't qualify her as a saint nothing will.
10 seriously good comments:
Sleeping like that for the first week is wonderful. Here hoping for more sleep filled nights.
Congratulations. We've been in Texas and I actually wondered about you when we were down there. You'll be happy to know you are the first blog I'm checking after a week of not blogging. I couldn't wait to find out if you had a girl or boy. I'm happy for you guys and I'm glad you have a healthy baby. Good luck with everything. I know it can be rough.
Good Luck Kim. I can't believe he slept that good but then again he is probably just exhausted from not sleeping on the previous days. I say you need to do what is right for your whole family. If Ashton will be full, sleep longer, and be happier with formula I say go for it. But then again who am I to say anything at all!!
Honestly. . .you're kids are freaking hilarious!! I love them so much. Glad you got some much needed rest. Hope the trend continues. I go for my glucose tolerance test Wednesday. I hope I pass. =)
I am glad you figured the hunger part out, there is nothing like dealing with a hungry baby, they just are not happy and they let you know it. Your kids are so cute.
I would love to come out there and nanny for you but jared wouldn't want to afford me. Let alone could I find it in me to charge y'all and let's be honest I need to make money. As much as I can before I start nursing school. I do want to come out there for Ashton's blessing. It will depend on my job situation. I enjoyed talking to the boys yesterday. They're a riot. I hope you are recovering well and getting as much sleep as possible.
Congrats on the birth of little Ashton Kim and Jared! That sounds like a long wait for the little one, and I'm glad you were able to figure out that he wasn't getting enough to eat. That always makes for a very unhappy baby. He's such a cute little guy!
Kim, Ashton is so dang cute. I love seeing how chubby he is. I am sorry to hear all about the whole eating thing. I never had much luck with breast feeding. i always got a breast infection sometimes more then once and I never had much milk. I would always have to give both breast and formulas. It was a nightmare. I say what ever works best for you is what you should do. You baby is so healthy no matter what you decide he is going to do well. I am sorry to hear I missed another girls night out. I am in need of some major girl talk. Your sister was sweet enough to come see me in the pit of despair on Sunday. It was nice to chat for a few minutes. good luck with everything!
Hey can i please get Amy and Matt Moores email or their home Address,
thanks
This is Amy Moore. Is that you Kristi Davis?
Post a Comment